Sunday, October 13, 2013

Warm-up Results

Hello Fellow Classmates,

For my warm-up, I choose a speed write with the prompt:  List everything you know or have heard about buying a car.  I was able to do this live as I will be teaching the car buying project lesson beginning next week.  The students became excited as they realized the car project is coming up.  A few have just gotten their licenses and many more will have them by the end of the school year.  Because of the enthusiasm it is a wonderful opportunity to stretch their dreams a bit.  

This was a great way for me to get some feedback in advance.  Upon review of the responses I was able to find patterns and observe some pervasive myths of car buying such as “My uncle says to always buy on a rainy day.” Or “Every car salesman is out to get you.”  I plan to have a warm-up similar to this a few days before I start a new subject or project as it allows me to tailor content and teaching strategies more effectively.  

All in all I consider it a success.

P.S.  If you are looking for a good read I highly recommend Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. Malcolm is a fantastic writer and the book has some interesting info on buying a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment